Friday 12 April 2013

Betty's Big Plans! 24/9/12

Image compliments of GC Photographics

Local singer/songwriter Betty Harrigan has just finished recording her brand new album of traditional Irish and Scottish music. The album is now going through mixing but will be launched before Christmas. It features both never before heard originals and covers with an individual twist. As it is for many of those involved in music in the city, Betty’s passion started as a child.
“Mum took us to the fleadhs during the troubles; it took us away from what was going on. I always loved Irish music, just the sound of it; I have it in my heart.”
Betty first picked up the guitar at 11 years old
and found her voice in traditional music going onto play with the bands Shamrock and Uilleann in her late teens.
However, there was sometimes a little trouble trying to get about as part of a music group at that time. As a band they were stopped at all check points for thorough searches: “We had to take out our instruments and play them so they’d know they were real.” One of the highlights of Betty’s early career was in the band Rí Rá were she had the opportunity to play support for some acts that are still going strong today like Sharon Shannon, Bagatelle and Daniel O Donnell. However, Betty found herself taking a ten year gap from music after her daughter Oonagh was born in ill health. That said, it wouldn’t stop her from having the odd sing song. “Oonagh didn’t keep well and blood’s thicker than water. Even in saying that, when the musicians I played with were down around Derry they’d come and stay with me and the music continued in the house.”
After ten years away Betty returned to the music scene making friends with many songwriters and getting her first opportunity to record as well as make her own CD but it didn’t quite go according to plan.“I decided then I would give my own CD a go and I had already gotten a bit of a taste for recording. However when it was done I didn’t feel like I gave “Twisted Roots” my all. I didn’t feel like I was properly expressing the message I wanted the songs to put across so I never launched it.” The reason became apparent when soon after Betty suffered ill health lasting three years.

Andy Orr, a local singer/songwriter, helped her back into song writing were Betty’s newest and as yet unnamed, album was born last year. “I was working with a great crew and they put so much in. I had Pete Doherty, Ciaran Carlin, Ramon Ferguson, Robert Peoples, Mark O’Doherty, Connor McAteer and of course last but not least Rory Donaghy. I have had so much support from friends and family, I really hope everyone likes it.”

Keep an eye out for Betty who plays in traditional sessions across the city. Take it from this music guru who is fortunate enough to have had a sneaky listen; this album is a must for traditional fans. Have a look at her Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment