Friday 31 May 2013

Jim McDermott and Friends - River Inn 3/5/13

Jim McDermott and Friends and the River Inn

When the Jazz Festival comes around each year it is the one and single event of the weekend I DO NOT miss. I dandered down the steps of the River Inn to see jim and friends on stage. The place was packed and everyone enjoying the show. Switching from flute, to sax and to clarinet things were kept fresh and lively but a particular highlight for me was seeing Jim take to the mic for a song and playing his alto sax between verses.
I will admit, I am entirely biassed when it comes to Jim McDermott. Having been a pupil at St Mary's College, I first met Jim in the practice rooms of the old St Mary's building which is no longer there. I learned saxophone from Jim for 5 years. By the time it came for him to retire I thought of him not as a teacher but as a friend.
A nice long set was played and the crowd seemed to thoroughly enjoy every minute, people sang along and some could be seen waving to the band onstage, friends like myself who'd come along for the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment