Friday 3 May 2013

Phyllis Curran - Custom House 12pm 3/5/13


Phyllis Curran at Custom House

Well here I am kicking off my Jazztastic weekend in Custom House armed with a soft drink and a laptop. Phyllis Curran is on stage and in full swing, the bar is manned but where are the public? I am the sole audience member. Phyllis is belting out the tunes, everything from  Shirley Bassey to Sinatra and of course I clap to show my appreciation but hesitate because it seems to create a more intense feeling of emptiness in the bar.
Wait! My spirits lift! A small crowd have entered the bar, hurray! But no, they are here for lunch and soon exit the bar through a side door. Alone once more, aside from the bar man and of course Phyllis. As a musician myself I have been in this very same situation before but I must say never before have I coped with it with as much class and professionalism. Let me tell you folks, it is sole destroying to play to an empty venue but this lady seems to be taking it in her stride.
Her voice is strong, her head held high and her toes tapping.  If you happen to be reading this in the next half hour, call down to Custom House and show your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment